Day 22.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 § 0

Something that makes me different from everyone else: 

I asked my sister (since it was hard to come up with one on my own; it's hard to be objective when we look at ourselves, am I right?) and she told me that what makes me different is that I'm well beyond my years.  

In other words, I'm a bit of an old soul.  

I absolutely hate it when people call themselves that and it's not true, but I guess when it comes to me I can see that.  For one, I have a tender love for vintage/vintage inspired items.  

Example: my prom dress from last year.  

Absolutely loved that thing, even if it did squeeze the life out of me.  The lady I bought it from told me it was from the '70s.  AWESOME.

I guess another reason why is that some of my favorite movies were made decades ago.  

Some I recommend: 

#1
Lili (1953)
"Based on the story by Paul Gallico, Lili stars Leslie Caron as the title character, a 16-year-old waif who runs off to join a carnival. Embittered, crippled puppeteer Mel Ferrer treats Lili with contempt; only by speaking through his puppets is Ferrer able to express his genuine love for the girl. Before this happens, however, Caron must overcome her crush on magician Jean-Pierre Aumont, who is married to the contentious Zsa Zsa Gabor." (written by Hal Erickson on Fandango.com)

So good! Leslie Caron's character (and hair) is adorable and Ferrer is so bitter but you end up loving him.


#2
Good News (1947)
"The scene is Tait College, where everyone is in a blue funk over the dilemma of gridiron star Tom (Stanley Smith). Since the only thing he's ever passed is a football, Tom is in danger of flunking out before the Big Game. Plain-looking Connie (Mary Lawlor) is enlisted to tutor Tom through his final exams, and in the process the two students fall in love -- much to the dismay of campus vamp Patricia (Lola Lane). Managing to finagle a marriage proposal out of Tom, it looks as though Patricia will emerge triumphant, but all is set aright during the lavish Technicolor finale." (Hal Erickson, Fandango.com)

First of all, Connie's character is hilarious- during the song, 'Lucky In Love', she sings: 'Some girls are gay/ Know what to say/ But when I talk I scare the fellas away.'

Love that girl.  And the fashion in this movie is over-the-top '20s (*cough* Tommy's bell-bottoms *cough*) but so top-notch.  Love it all. 


#3
Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

"In the year before the 1904 St Louis World's Fair, the four Smith daughters learn lessons of life and love, even as they prepare for a reluctant move to New York." (IMDB.com)

Judy Garland is so cute in this movie, and young! We watched this around Christmastime since a chunk of the movie takes place during the holidays, but it's a year-round film.  Love it.

Others that I love but am too lazy to find pictures of and describe: On The Town, Funny Face, Holiday Inn, An American in Paris, Roman Holiday, Summer Stock, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc etc etc.  

That's something a little different about me.  

By the way, my mom bought me an adorable hat (modeled after the one Julia Roberts wears in Eat, Pray, Love) the other day at World Market, and I felt very chic and summery wearing it around Target today.  

^That's at Cotton Patch.  Delish lunch!

Had a fun day today.  I told myself that I would read our required reading material for English instead of beginning it and Sparknote-ing the rest like I usually do (terrible habit), but I've fallen in love with a series that I can't extract my attention from!  It's The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.  And though Life of Pi is very interesting, I've already started City of Ashes.  I'm a terrible student.  

Regardless, I did stumble across a quote from Life of Pi the other day that I thought was pretty beautiful:

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity—it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud." 
Chapter One

Hope you have a spectacular night, 
Cooper

What's this?

You are currently reading Day 22. at Life with Madi.

meta

§ Leave a Reply