I did it! Sort of.

Friday, January 27, 2012 § 0

Today, I achieved something that I've been wanting to for a long time.  I climbed the rock wall at my gym!

My friend Rose always pesters me to go with her, but I always say no- rock climbing takes an immense amount of upper body strength that I just do not have.  I have always wanted to do it, though, but I guess I have this fear of being judged or watched by the professional climbers (who are ALWAYS hanging around) so I've always said no.  Today, however, she finally said something that convinced me.  I realized that I didn't want to go home saying that I never tried anything new and that I never faced my (albeit irrational) fears.

So I did it!  And okay, I almost didn't past the belaying certification test (which is ridiculous because it is literally the easiest test in the world, but I just got so nervous) and I only made it a little more than halfway up the easiest wall (the 5.5) but STILL!  It's an accomplishment even for me, and Rose said that that is good for my first try, anyway, so I'll take what I can get.  I belayed for her the rest of the time, which is really relaxing and also a good way to get an arm workout, but you have to be attentive and not easily distracted.  So, hard for me (haha).

So though it was incredibly hard, I look forward to getting better and better and maybe tackling some 5.9s soon!

What's this?

You are currently reading I did it! Sort of. at Life with Madi.

meta

§ Leave a Reply